Indiana Driver Safety Program
Who Can Take a Driver Safety Program?
Any Indiana driver can choose to complete a Driver Safety Program (DSP). However, drivers typically do so for the following reasons:
- You received a notification from the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) that you are required to complete a DSP.
- You received a court order that you must complete a DSP as an alternative to suspension of driving privileges.
- You are not required to complete a DSP, but you wish to have a 4-point credit applied to your driving record.
Please Note: Whether completing an Indiana DSP is required or voluntary, you will only receive a 4-point credit once every three years.
Why Am I Required to Complete a DSP?
Typically, if you receive notice that you must complete a DSP, it is because of one of these reasons:
- You have committed two or more traffic offenses within a 12-month period.
- You are under 18 years of age AND:
- You have been convicted of two or more traffic offenses;
- You have been involved in two or more collisions;
- A combination of these has occurred;