Iowa Online Parent-Taught Driver Education (PTDE)
What Is Parent-Taught Driver Education?
This Iowa Parent-Taught Driver Education (PTDE) course provides your parent or legal guardian the opportunity to become your driver education instructor, if you are a homeschooled student. PTDE requires both online classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel driver training.
Safe2Drive's PTDE course is approved by the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT), and allows a parent or legal guardian to become an instructor for their teen's driver education. PTDE requires both online classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel driver training.
Benefits for Teens
- Take our approved Parent-Taught Driver Education course entirely ONLINE
- Qualify for your intermediate license
- Enjoy our FUN games and animations while learning how to drive
- Learn practical and EASY behind-the-wheel driving exercises
- Work toward your driver's license
Eligibility Requirements for Teens
- Must be at least 14 years old before starting the online course
- Must not be older than 21 years of age
- Must be in the custody of the teaching parent
- Must hold a valid Iowa instruction permit
Steps for Teens
After your teaching parent has been approved by the DOT (your parent must send in their application to serve as a teaching parent and receive a letter of acceptance from the DOT) you and your parent may begin the course.
- Receive a letter of approval from the DOT to complete Parent-Taught Driver Education.
- Complete the first six hours of online instruction.
- Pay for the course.
- Complete the remaining 24 hours of online instruction.
- You will need to complete a total of 40 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with your teaching parent, including 4 hours of driving between sunset and sunrise.
- After course completion, fill out the Application for Parent-Taught Driver Education Certificate of Program Completion (Iowa DOT Form 431227, found in your PTDE packet).
Mail or email the application, in addition to your completed student driving log (Iowa DOT Form 431228, found in your PTDE packet) and the Exam Scores form provided at the end of the course, to the DOT at email@example.com or the following address:
Iowa Department of Transportation
Driver & Identification Services
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306
- Wait to receive the letter of approval and the Certificate of Completion from the Iowa DOT.
- Move on to getting your intermediate license!
Forms You'll Need
- Application to serve as a teaching parent (Iowa DOT Form 431225)
- Application for Parent-Taught Driver Education Certificate of Completion (Iowa DOT Form 431227, found in your PTDE packet)
- Student's driving log (Iowa DOT Form 431228, found in your PTDE packet)
Please Note: Iowa DOT Form 431225 is best accessed using Internet Explorer. It may not open on other browsers. You can also find it on the Iowa DOT website.
Don't worry. We will guide you through all of these steps as you progress through the course.