Iowa Parent-Taught Driver Education Online
What is Parent-Taught Driver Education?
The Iowa Parent-Taught Driver Education (PTDE) course allows a parent or legal guardian of a homeschooled teen to become an instructor for their teen's driver education. PTDE requires both online classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel driver training.
Safe2Drive's PTDE course is approved by the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT). It allows a parent or legal guardian to become an instructor for their teen's driver education. PTDE requires both online classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel driver training.
Benefits for Parents
- Teach a driver’s education course for your teen that is not only Iowa DOT-approved, it’s also fun, interactive, and engaging
- Allows your teen to take the first 6 hours of the course for FREE
- Gives you the opportunity to take charge of your teen's driver education
- Provides a low-cost and convenient way for your teen to take driver education
- Gives you a chance to practice behind-the-wheel driving exercises with your teen
Eligibility Requirements for Parents
- Must be the parent/guardian/legal custodian of the teen
- Must currently be providing private instruction to the teen according to Iowa
- Must have been a teacher to the teen during the previous year
- Must have a valid driver's license
- You may not be a driver education instructor if you only hold a moped license or a temporary restricted license
- Must have a clean driving record for the previous 2 years
- Must have custody of the teen
Steps for Parents
All that’s required for the two of you to get started is to register for the course on our website!
After the teaching parent has been approved by the DOT (the parent must send in their application to serve as a teaching parent and receive a letter of acceptance from the DOT) the parent and teen may begin the course. The procedures are as follows:
- Receive a letter of approval from the DOT to complete Parent-Taught Driver Education.
- Have your teen complete the first six hours of online instruction.
- Pay for the course.
- Have your teen complete the remaining 24 hours of online instruction.
- Your teen will need to complete a total of 40 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with you, including 4 hours of driving between sunset and sunrise.
- After course completion, fill out the Application for Parent-Taught Driver Education Certificate of Program Completion (Iowa DOT Form 431227, found in the PTDE packet).
Mail or email the application, in addition to the student’s completed driving log (Iowa DOT Form 431228, found in the PTDE packet) and the Exam Scores form provided at the end of your course, to the DOT at email@example.com or the following address:
Iowa Department of Transportation
Driver & Identification Services
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306
- Wait to receive the letter of approval and the Certificate of Completion from the Iowa DOT.
- Have your teen move on to getting their intermediate license.
Forms You'll Need
- Application to serve as a teaching parent (Iowa DOT Form 431225)
- Application for Parent-Taught Driver Education Certificate of Completion (Iowa DOT Form 431227, found in the PTDE packet)
- Student's driving log (Iowa DOT Form 431228, found in the PTDE packet)
Please Note: Iowa DOT Form 431225 is best accessed using Internet Explorer. It may not open on other browsers. You can also find it on the Iowa DOT website.
Don't worry. We will guide you through all of these steps as you progress through the course.