Iowa Parent-Taught Driver Education
Safe2Drive's Iowa Parent-Taught Driver Education (PTDE) course is 100% approved by the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT).
It allows a parent or legal guardian to become an instructor for their teen's driver education. PTDE requires both online classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel driver training.
How It Works
It is highly recommended that you double check the requirements and eligibility for both the student and the teaching parent(s) before the teen starts the course.
Not every family member may meet the requirements to qualify for the parent-taught program.
- Must possess a valid instruction permit.
- Must be age 14-21.
- Must be in the legal custody and control of the teaching parent.
- Must be currently attending a public school, an accredited nonpublic school or receiving homeschool education under chapter 299A.
- Must be the parent, guardian or legal custodian of the student.
- Must possess a valid Iowa driver’s license, other than a motorized bicycle license or a temporary restricted license.
- Must have a clear driving record for the previous two years, which means the individual has not been identified as a candidate for suspension or revocation of a driver’s license
under the habitual violator or habitual offender provisions of the department’s regulations; is not subject to a driver’s license suspension, revocation, denial, cancellation, disqualification, or bar;
and has no record of a conviction for a moving traffic violation determined to be the cause of a motor vehicle accident.
You can check your driving record to ensure you meet these requirements.
If you have any questions about eligibility, you can inquire by emailing ParentTaught.DE@iowadot.us.
There are some steps you must follow on the road to your full Iowa driver’s license. We’ve outlined what you need to do below.
- Verify the eligibility of the student and teaching parent(s) to participate in a parent-taught program.
This step is highly recommended because not every family member is going to meet the requirements to qualify for the parent-taught program.
- Register and pay for the course.
- Complete the course.
- You will need to complete a total of 30 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with your teaching parent,
including 3 hours of driving between sunset and sunrise.
- After you complete the course, your next step is to submit the online Application for Parent-Taught Driver Education Certificate of Completion to the Iowa DOT by visiting the
Iowa DOT's website
and clicking the “Submit application and documents” button. The following items must be uploaded with the application:
Wait to receive the letter of approval and the official Certificate of Completion from the Iowa DOT.
After you receive the letter of approval and official Certificate of Completion from the Iowa DOT, you can schedule your driving test
or at any Iowa driver’s license service center. Once you pass your driving test, you will receive your intermediate license.
To get a full license, you must be at least 17 years old, have completed the above requirements, have held your intermediate license for at least 12 months with a clean driving record, and have parental consent.
- Safe2Drive Course Completion Certificate
- Copy of your completed driving log (Iowa DOT Form 431228), which can be found on the
Iowa DOT website.